Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Bottle Boot Camp

Apparently it is really difficult for some babies to accept a bottle if it is not introduced in the first couple of weeks.  I found this to be true for Annaliese last week when I tried giving her pumped breast milk in a bottle and she would have none of it.  Although I'm not going back to work, it would be nice for me to be able to have a break sometimes.

So, according to the Baby Whisper book (of which I am a huge fan), if the baby rejects it at first, you sometimes will just have to only offer the bottle until she accepts it (even if it takes all day, called a hunger strike).  That's what I'm calling Bottle Boot Camp - and it was most of the day yesterday for us.  It was the hardest day for me since giving birth.  She was crying and taking the bottle only when she was REALLY hungry (from either my mom or Andy or me), but then it was like she'd forget that she could get the same milk from the bottle the next time.  

Whew... finally as of this morning she's taken it 3 times in a row without objection.  I think I got physically sick over the exhaustion and stress of hearing her cry and wanting to feed her, but her not getting full.  It was great that at least when I felt the sickest in the middle of the night last night, Andy could take over with the bottle and take care of her while I got some rest - intermittently - since I still had to get up to pump frequently and I also kept trying to be well enough to feed her. 

As an bonus in addition to the future enjoyment of some activities that don't include breast feeding, since I was pumping anyway and it was my parents' 30th wedding anniversary celebration dinner at Aqua Shi (Sushi- my fav!) I decided to go ahead an indulge in some of my favorite things, pump out the "yucky" milk, and throw it away since Annaliese is so sensitive.  Anyone who has breast-fed their child for any significant amount of time can empathize with how sad it was for me to toss about 10 oz of freshly pumped milk down the drain though.  The food was wonderful though; I had spicy tuna, wasabi, alcohol and a chocolate/peanut butter dessert! The only 'forbidden' item that was lacking on the menu was garlic and onions (and beans I guess, but I don't miss them as much).  Oh well, now back to the more bland choices such as chicken, rice, potatoes, fruit.

3 comments:

Bonnie said...

Bottle Boot Camp - a great way of describing the battle of the wills. We found that once we had added the bottle, Tony really enjoyed the bonding that I had each feeding with Amy and Scott. So add that to the plus column, not to mention those night feedings when you may really need a tag-team play! Keep the stories coming - you two are great parents!

Carolyn said...

Usually babies do better with bottles when somebody other than mom gives it to them....good luck in your adventure! You can make it!

Megan said...

Good job Steph! Isn't it crazy how many emotions are tied to feeding your child? I was not excpecting that with Cora and it really took me suprise - so overwhelming. Way to hang in there.

Pete loved being able to give our kids their bottles - it's good bonding for them and good time off for you.